1. An item resource is a passage, illustration, map, graph, etc. that can be used as a prompt for constructed response or multiple choice questions. Click the Create Assessment Items button under the Create an Assessment Item section to generate a custom item resource (utilizing the SAS step-by-step process), which can then be linked to an assessment item and added to an assessment.
2. The item resource creation process is outlined in a section-by-section progress display along the left hand side of the page. The future sections are locked until the current section has been completed. All required steps within a section must be finished before the next section becomes accessible.
3. To access custom item resources and/or assessment items that you have previously created, click the View My Created Items button.
4. Start the General Information section by giving the resource a title in the Resource Name/Item Name field. Note that the Author field is pre-populated with your name.
Hint: To help keep your My Created Items bank organized, consider using a standardized naming convention for item resources that is as consistent and specific as possible.
ELA Example: 7-Anne Frank Diary Excerpt #1
Math Example: 4-Equivalent Fractions Word Problem #1
5. Select Resource as the item type. To attach this item resource to an assessment item, please see Steps 12 and 13 below (once the creation process is complete).
6. Select the Grade Level for the item resource by clicking the desired radio button.
7. Select the Subject Area for the item resource by clicking the appropriate radio button. If the desired subject area is not displayed among the options, select No Subject Area.
For a subject area with sub-categories, click the drop down arrow associated with it and make your selection.
8. Select the Course (if applicable) for the item resource by clicking the desired radio button.
9. Note that no alignments are required for item resources, so the Alignment section is excluded from the resource creation process.
10. For the Content section of the item resource creation process, add your resource in the Item Resource text box. Use the toolbar above the text box to edit/alter the text (as needed).
Hint: In addition to text, you can insert graphs, tables, charts, etc.
11. Once you have finished composing your item resource, double check that all necessary fields are completed and accurate. Then, click the Complete button at the very bottom of the page.
12. To return to the Assessment Center landing page, click the Finished Adding a Resource button. To create an assessment item that will be connected to this item resource, click the Create an Aligned Assessment Item button. See the Create an Assessment Item help section for guidance.
Hint: Your finished item resource will now appear in the My Created Items bank of the Build an Assessment section. To locate and/or edit the resource, please refer to the My Created Items help section.
13. To attach this item resource to an existing assessment item, locate the question in the My Created Items bank, select Edit, and follow Steps 6-8 of the Create an Assessment Item help section.